Week Eight

Final Week - Double Assignment
Assignment #1: Create a new tradition or teach your child about an old one.

Motivation-
Exodus 12 (NIV) - reason for traditions.

Explanation -
Traditions are important. They help us remember what God has done for us, who he is and what he plans to do. Just think of something you can do to remember God at this time, it doesn't have to be a yearly tradition it can be a monthly one, or even daily one. Post what new tradition you established and how it went over with the kids.

Purpose -
Remembering the past, and looking toward the future. Also, creating great memories for our children.

Final Objective -
Creating strong family ties, a binding together.

Anecdote -
Link and her boys did the Jesse tree last year. We also have a Christmas devotional book that is wonderful. Consider an Advent calendar with something to open each day (littles love this!) Or perhaps baking a special Christmas cake or cookies.

Word of warning-
You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to the traditions of men. Make sure the traditions you are setting are in line with the commands of God.
Mark 7:8
Links-
Jesse Tree
Jesse Tree Devotional
Christmas Traditions
Have yourself a Very Simple Christmas
Biblical Holidays
Jewish Holidays
Why are Traditions Important

*************************************

Assignment #2: Teach your child to give to others.

Motivation-
The Sheep and the Goats
31"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' 37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' 40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' 41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' 44"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' 45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.' 46"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."
Matt 25 (NIV)
Explanation -
Look around you and help your child to look around them. Find someone that needs help, or that you and your child(ren) could give things too, whether cookies, a card etc. Someone that is NOT someone expecting a gift during this time. One idea is that children may benefit greatly by visiting the elderly.

Purpose -
Teach the children that Christmas and birthdays are not about getting, it is about giving.

Final Objective -
To have children who think of others first. Who grow into adults and give to others, and their community more than they take. Have adults that shine the light of Jesus out into the world.

Additional Information-
Helpful warning:
1"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. 2"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 3But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. Matthew 6:1-4 (NIV)

One easy way to do this and not even let the needy person know, if you have monetary means is mail well hidden cash or a giftcard to them.. make sure to put their address as the return address. The gift does NOT have to be monetary, it can be your time also. Rivergallery enjoys sharing food and holidays with her neighbors. It has fostered a great relationship of mutual love and giving between their two families.

Links -
Goodwill
Foodbank
Operation Christmas Child